Friday, 8 February 2013

Creamy coconut chicken and minty melon balls

Hi all, hope you had a wonderful evening. Mine was awesome fun, girls and I were watching Lemmony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. In the movie they speak of pasta puttanesca and I thought YES! That'd be a lovely recipe to share, but not according to my chicks;  they reckon that any recipe with the word "poo" in it isn't worth trying. So that idea died before it even began. 1 point kids, 0 point mom.
I get a lot of people asking me, "Shants, what's your secret to good food?" And to tell the honest truth I only have two secrets to good food. (a) ALWAYS use fresh ingredients, your dish is only as good as the ingredients you put into it and (2) put your favourite music LOUD!!!
Yup, that's right!! MUSIC!! Seeing as food is food for your tummy and music is food for your soul, why not feed both at the same time?! I have my very own playlist which I turn on loud while I'm hitting the pots 'n pans and Chef's honour: no white sauce comes out quite as lump-free as when its being whisked by a whisk and your gyrating booty at the same time!!

Ok so no "poo-ta-nesca" today....Instead I have one of my favourite chicken breast recipes. And with kids, chicken is always a winner.

Creamy Coconut Chicken breasts

Ingredients:
3 cubed, fresh chicken breasts
1 large onion, diced
3tblsp brown sugar
4 chunky chopped tomatoes
Oil (prefferably olive- its healthier, tastes better and makes you live longer too, ask the Greeks!)
2tsp tumeric
1tblsp crushed garlic
2tsp chili powder
Salt and pepper
2tsp mustard seeds (optional)
100mls milk
250ml fresh pouring cream
2cups mixed veggies
Some dessicated coconut
Fluffy white rice to serve it with.

 Method:
In a large pot bring to heat your oil, add your garlic and onions with the sugar and gently caramelize together, add the spices and fry till onions are glassy. Add the chicken and cook until chicken is soft and browned. Add veggies and tomato and half a cup of water, simmer with lid off until water is somewhat evapourated and veggies are soft. 10 minutes before its ready, add milk and then once its done, stir in the cream
Serve with fluffy white rice and dessicated coconut! Serves 4.

Cooking tip for today:
I totally hate it when I'm trying to cut something and my chopping board is pulling some serious  Michael Jackson moves under my knife;  so now I take a clean tea towel, wet it thoroughly, wring out the excess water and fold it in half, then I lay that down on the counter and pop my chopping board on top -  Et Voila! No more sliding chopping board! Sorry M.J.


And don't think I've forgotten about dessert! Gotta have the sweet stuff dudes!

Minty Melon Balls

Ingredients:
A whole bunch of fresh mint, chopped finely (on your board that's no longer sliding around like a wet fish)
watermelon balls
Honey dew melon balls
And Spanspek balls
Some fresh orange juice
Serves: oh, however many balls you're prepared to make.

To make the balls you need a butter baller, make sure your melons are very cold, straight from the fridge, using the butter baller, scoop ball shapes from your melons and plop them in a glass (it does take a bit of practice but I know you can do it!), add quite a bit of the finely chopped mint leaves on top and pop back in the fridge for about an hour. Pour over a weeny bit of orange juice before serving.  And Bob's your aunty!!! A fresh and minty summer dessert :) for those who like a bit of alcohol, you can drizzle some vodka over the balls before refridgerating but then I reckon they'd be drunken melon balls.....

Have an awesome weekend, stay safe and be good!
  
Chef Shants

No comments:

Post a Comment