Tuesday, 5 March 2013

Buttermilk Vetkoek

Hi peeps!

How was your Monday? Great I hope! If not.....step into my kitchen and let's cook and bake while we *wiggle and shake*!!! In our house we have the wackiest and weirdest kids and I am blessed to call them daughters, I swear insanity is hereditary coz I got it from my kids! Here I am making sandwiches and I ask, "what would you like on it, Stormy?" She replies: "Peeniebudduh!, Mom!". So I'm standing there thinking to myself, with one eyebrow raised: 'peeniebudduh? I thought it was peanutbutter!!!". Hmmmmm..... this is probably the after effects of last week's Wompie attack......

Anyhoo...sandwiches are awesome coz they're quick to make but I gotta say that vetkoek ,(fetcook), are so much better. This recipe actually originated from the Dutch "Olliebollen" and South Africans have taken it and made it their own. Here's our version of this delicious recipe:

Buttermilk Vetkoek
Ingredients:
1 egg
2 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup buttermilk.











Method:
1. Sieve together your flour and baking powder and salt.
2. In a seperate bowl beat together your egg, your butter and your buttermilk.
3. Mix your flour into the liquid and make sure its mixed well, it'll resemble a runny dough.
4. Bring a big pot filled half with cooking oil to the bubble stage and drop big spoonfulls of the batter into the oil. Make sure that your oil isn't overly hot or else they will burn before they're cooked inside.
5. Cook them until they are golden brown on either side.
6. Put them in a colander with a plate underneath to catch the extra oil drips. Allow to cool a bit before filling them and chowing down.

You can literally cut them open and fill them with whatever floats your boat. The girls like to have theirs with cheese and syrup (yes, together), or even with Stormy's famous peeniebudduh!! Craig loves his with a curried mince or french polony. I like mine with Spring Onion or Salmon flavoured cream cheese and tomato slices. But literally you can have them with either a sweet or savoury filling. Its really all up to you.

Eat some peeniebudduh for me Wompies!
Chef Shants xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment