Tuesday, 19 March 2013

CousCous; Easter Eggs and Caramel Apples

Hi peeps!

Hope ya'll had a good Monday. I'm sitting with two sick babies who have kindly shared their flu with me; we are such a close family that we share everything, even the sniffles it seems. But its all good because it gives me an excuse to dodge the washing hahaha :-D.

I was chatting to a friend of mine from Cape Town, Amanda Smith (Mandy), last week and she was telling me that her boss had kindly bought her a cous cous salad for lunch. (Kudos to Mandy's boss!! You're awesome!!). I happen to love cous cous and; on discussing it further with my sister-in-law; Evie, I had to agree that cous cous does tend to be a bit dry. So I went ahead and found this lovely moist couscous recipe. It comes in two versions: Spicy and non-spicy; it is also a VEGETARIAN DISH hahahaha (although you could add grilled chicken strips if you'd like) I also have another way to do candy eggs, shared with me by Jon Dalton, an old school pal of mine and Nancy Lucas Senn has once again proven to be awesome and provided me with a totally cool and easy way to do candy apples! Here's how these recipes go:

Bell Pepper Cous Cous

Ingredients:

1 cup cous cous
1 cup boiling water
3 tblspns of olive oil
1 crushed clove of garlic
1 cup diced bell peppers
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes (my fav)
6 fresh basil leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
Balsamic vinegar
1 cup parmesan cheese

Method:

1. Boil your water and add the cous cous, return to heat and boil till cous cous is cooked, pop lid on pot and remove from stove, allow cous cous to steam for about 10 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a pan, add the veggies and saute. Add your spices and the basil and toss through.
3. Heat your oven to 175C and transfer the cous cous into a casserole dish. Dash with balsamic vinegar. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes and sprinkle over parmesan cheese on serving.

You can also spice it up a bit by adding 3 pods of star anise, 2 tspns of curry powder and a tsp of cinnamon. Craig likes to add dried chillies for some extra oomph.

Easter Eggs

You can buy some of those white coated candy eggs and some food colouring. In a plastic cup, add the food colouring and a quarter water, pop the egg in and slowly, over time, add a little more water until the whole egg is covered. This gives the egg an awesome effect! Thanks Jon for the share!

Candy Apples:

Take some large green apples and halve them and hollow them out. Use a muffin pan to balance the halves while you make some caramel. Now pour the caramel into the halves and allow to cool and harden before slicing them into bite sizes!! Easy hey! Thanks Nancy for another great idea.

I truly appreciate so many people who share their ideas daily with me. The girls and I try each recipe the moment we have the time and all the ingredients and; naturally, because most of them are sweet, Craig has been in 7th heaven for the past few weeks. (I can see a dentist appointment looming closer lol). Thank you all.

Have a sweet 'n spicy day, peeps! Peace out!

Chef Shants and friends. Xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment