Friday, 1 March 2013

Eat Like Johnny Depp

Hi All!
And today I start my new job! *wiggle wiggle wiggle* I'm really happy :).
Everybody who knows me, knows that I absolutely ADORE Johnny Depp. I've seen ALL his movies about 109 times each. His weirdness just speaks to me in volumes seeing as I'm pretty daft myself. I know almost everything about him seeing as he's been my celebrity crush since the time I was two-bricks- and- a-fart- high. I just absolutely love this guy. (I love my hubby more though :-D).  Being a chef, I've been curious as to what someone like Johnny would eat; turns out his favourite dishes include: Pork, Sticky Toffee Pud and 'cheap chocolate' (he also loves KFC too). So today I'm doing a menu in honour of my all-time favourite actor.





Sweet 'n Sour Pork Chops
Ingredients:
4 medium pork chops
Oil
Salt and black pepper
2 medium onions, sliced in rings
1/2 cup vinegar
2 tblspn maple syrup
Chopped Parsley
Fluffy, white rice for 4

Method:
In a pan, heat your oil. Sprinkle the salt and black pepper over both sides of the chops. Fry them till they're cooked through and golden brown. Remove from the pan. In the same pan, pour a little more oil, then add the vinegar, simmer it until the vinegar reduces down, add your maple syrup and simmer some more. Re-add the pork chops and fry quick on each side. Serve the chops on a bed of rice with the sauce poured over and sprinkle with chopped parsley.

My favourite chef is Nigella Lawson, she is just flaming awesome!! Awesome Lawson! And I'm sharing her Sticky Toffee Pudding recipe as Johnny's Favourite dessert. (By note: muscovado sugar is a very dark brown unrefined sugar, high in molasses, look for it in the baking isles or get it from a Baker's Shop)


Sticky Toffee Pudding
Ingredients: (cake)
100g dark brown muscovado sugar
175g self raising flour
125g full cream milk
1 med egg
1 tsp vanilla essence
50g butter
200g dates, chopped.
Sauce:
200g muscovado sugar
25 g of little blobs of butter
500ml boiling water

Method:
Heat your oven to 190C. In a bowl, combine the flour and sugar. In a jug, add the milk and beat in the egg. Now beat in the vanilla essence and melted butter. Pour this over the flour mixture and combine with a wooden spoon. Pour this into a 1 1/2 litre pudding dish. Sprinkle over the rest of the sugar and plop the blobs of butter on top, pour over the boiling water. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until the cake is spongy and the sauce sticky. Sprinkle over the chopped dates. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.  You might have to jog around the block after a helping of this decadent beauty!

And there you have it! A menu fit for Johnny Depp.  Send me an email with your comments or suggestions, shantsjlucas@gmail.com or just to rant and rave.

Hope you guys have a great weekend! See you on Monday!! Be kind to your kids even if they drive you dizzy. :-P
Chef Shants xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment