Friday, 14 June 2013

Eat Like..my mom! Flora Bezuidenhout.

Hi peeps!

Today's eat like features my mum. I featured my mum on the 15th of February this year for her birthday but now that I'm with my mum; I want to do a menu just for her. My mum really is the world's best mum; she has done so much for me that I can't even begin to list it or even begin to show how grateful I am; for everything. So mom...this menu is just for you!

My mum is a chicken fanatic and one of her favourite puddings is called "Skuim Poeding" - translated into foam pudding. So let's get cooking!


Roasted Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Stuffed with Feta and Sweet Potato

Ingredients:
4 skinless chicken breasts
1 cup diced sweet potato
2 wedges crumbled herb Feta cheese
8 slices of back bacon
Toothpicks dipped in salted ice water
Salt
Lemon pepper
Fresh chopped parsley
Olive oil

Method:
In a solid based pan, sear your chicken breasts in olive oil till browned. Allow to rest on a chopping board. In a pot, blanche your chopped sweet potato and strain. Slice a horizontal slit in your chicken breasts and stuff with the sweet potato and crumble in some feta cheese. Wrap the breasts with bacon and hold together with a salted toothpicks. Rub some salt and lemon pepper on the outside of your chicken breasts (not too much salt as feta and bacon are already quite salty). Wrap in tinfoil and roast on 180 degrees for about 20 minutes.
Take out of oven and allow to rest before serving on a bed of savoury rice and blanched green beans.
Serves 4

Foam Pudding

This is my gran's very own recipe. (My mom's mom).
Ingredients:
1x 250ml Ideal milk
1x package of your favourite jelly
1x Can of your favourite fruit (mixed fruit or guava halves or peaches)

Method:
Pop your Ideal Milk in the freezer to make it very cold but it mustnt freeze. Prepare your jelly using half a cup of the syrup from your canned fruit mixed with hot water to make 1 cup. Allow the jelly to cool but not set. Beat your Ideal Milk till it doubles in size and add the cool liquid jelly mixture and beat well. Now add your chopped up canned fruit and beat well. Pop in fridge till set and serve with whipped cream.

I'm very excited to share a family recipe of ours that has been handed down through three generations. Hope you love it just as much as I love my mom....which is A LOT!!! I love you, mom!

Love your moms peeps, they're special ladies indeed!
Chef Shants xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment