Monday, 19 August 2013

Deep Fried Icecream and Rainbow Oranges

Hi peeps!

And welcome back to the Chef Mother after another awesome weekend. A quick shout out to my brother, Neill; who had his birthday on Saturday - hope you were spoiled rotten big bro and happy birthday from all of us nutcases :).

The girls and I had a bake night again during last week so tune in tomorrow to see the nonsense we got up to. Seeing as we had a Health Week two weeks ago, I reckon we need a week where we bugger the calories and eat what makes us happy!

I was first introduced to deep fried ice cream at a restaurant here in Durban but I have to admit; I honestly didn't like it and couldn't understand why everyone was making such a big thing about it either. To be honest; it was just plain gross to me. So I thought; well, there has to be a way to make it taste better and went recipe hunting. Most of them were pretty oily and gross too but I just wasn't prepared to give up hope just yet and then I found this recipe. Why not try it out and let me know what you think:

Deep Fried Ice Cream
Ingredients
1 tub ice cream, any flavour
1 loaf sliced white bread
6 to 8 cups canola oil, for frying
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Directions
Place a plate or sheet pan in the freezer and let it chill for at least 1 hour or overnight.

Using a large ice cream scoop, make balls of ice cream and place them on the sheet pan then return them to the freezer.

Cut the crusts off the sliced bread and using about 2 slices per ice cream ball, form the bread around the ice cream using your hands to pack it like a snow ball. Once it's completely covered return it to the freezer.

In a medium saucepan, heat 3 inches of canola oil to 365 degrees F. Drop the covered ice cream balls, one at a time, into the hot oil and fry, turning occasionally so they colour evenly, until golden brown on all sides. Remove from oil and briefly drain on paper towels. Stir together the sugar and cinnamon. Coat fried ice cream in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Serve immediately

My friend, Naomi, who I have known for a good few years now, had a birthday party for her little girl, Layla, this Saturday past. Its thanks to Naomi that she reminded me of this really cool party trick for kids - I can't remember if I have blogged about it before or not but here we go:

Jelly Oranges
Ingredients:
1 bag of oranges
Packets of mixed flavour jellies
(The rainbow orange halves have the most impact)
Directions:
Cut the oranges and half and juice them so that the halves are empty. (Now you have freshly squeezed O.J for breakfast tomorrow too! Talk about two birds with one stone!).

Place the halves upright in a muffin tin and prepare your jelly as instructed on the box.

Pour jelly into orange halves and refrigerate overnight. Slice with a very sharp knife and plate just before serving.
-thanks Naomi for reminding me about this one!

Pop by tomorrow to see the mischief the girls and I got up to in the kitchen again :). It was a holy mess lol.
Bright rainbow hugs*
Chef Shants xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment